Saturday, November 27, 2010

Final (? maybe... lol) of the closet diaries~

The Closet Diaries, part3

So along with good lighting, you need good mirrors.  Ok, maybe great mirrors.  And I recommend more than one~  You need to make your closet inviting.  If you have space, put a chair or a stool.  Add artwork.  Paint the walls.  I wish I had a picture, but the first apartment C & I lived in had two closets in the master--side by side.  Small, but workable.  Anyway, I painted the insides bright pink, fuchsia if you will.  SOOOO fabulous.  He didn’t even mind!  That’s one of the reasons I knew I had a good one :)

Add pieces of furniture for functionality but make sure they’re pleasing to the eye also.  I have an old tall dresser we bought for $10 at a thrift store a looooong time ago, that I am redoing in black & White zebra paper on the drawers, and high gloss black paint everywhere else.  I like dramatic :) :)
You know the Victoria’s Secret dressing rooms when they went to all black & white? (I couldn't find any pictures!!! I guess I'll just have to go there and take some myself ...darn ;) I'll post as soon as I take them!)  Pictures, paint and all, and they had neon lights on the mirrors in the actual rooms that said “sexy” or “beautiful”...I think they had some stripes going on and pops of hot pink. I always said I loved that look...and my closet would one day be similar... so here’s my chance! Which is where I came up with the dresser look~ Ok so the point IS make your closet somewhere you want to be, make it a reflection of you. 
And of course, it’s ok if it doesn’t happen quickly, like in one weekend.  Actually it’s probably better if it doesn’t.  That way you can have time to live with the small changes first, see what you want to change and all that~
Then it's time to edit/rearrange your wardrobe.  See today's earlier post on how to edit!  As far as rearranging, make it work for you.  And with this, the organizational tools need to be what works for you, too.  Ikea lets you design a closet online....so you can see the functionality and the aesthetic elements that work for you.  Then you can either buy from them, of course, or see what you can find that is similar, maybe cheaper~  As the first closet post said, it is ALL preference. Do you hang your jeans? If so, maybe you need a low bar to hang them folded over on hangers to preserve space.  Do you fold your sweaters? Ok, maybe you need shelves to t-shirt fold and stack them--by color, of course :)

Oh, which reminds me of something.... Now, I always organize my closet by colors, from white to black.  It's just pleasing to my eyes when I walk in and I know where to go if I'm in a red shirt kind of mood.  However, some people like to group like with like.  I'm one of those people who have the same shirt in 14 colors, so if you dress by knowing what kind of shirt you want to wear, maybe this style of organization is for you!

Anyway~ point is, tailor it to YOU!!! & have F.U.N. with it.  It is just a closet after all, it doesn't need to be all serious~  I'll keep you updated as I redo mine!!! And tomorrow, I will **finally** post some more boot outfits! :) :)


Sorry for the lack of pictures~ I can't get the upload tool to work!!!!!! :( :(

No comments:

Post a Comment