Thursday, October 17, 2013

What I learned from putting together 2 chairs

I have had my dining room table for almost 1 year. The table came right after we moved in.  The table, as seen below, was built by my stepdad. He had an inspiration table and measurements from me, and he went to town. My husband painted it white. I went back and forth on what color I wanted....but you can't go wrong with white! We have almost black cabinets, grey walls & countertops. I wanted a coastal-y vibe in the whole house...so white was perfect.

The poor table sat lonely (read: without chairs) for about 10 months...until August! I knew the look I wanted, and it wasn't cookie-cutter, ready made, or something you could see anywhere. Well, and since my table was custom made, I couldn't have something like that anyway!  I searched and searched and searched.....and searched somemore. I spent many nights while C was traveling for work scouring the internet for chairs.  I needed reasonably priced, wanted wicker for the head chairs, and something else for the side.  This took forever.

I saw the head chairs online at World Market one day..and knew they were it. I waited until I had a 15% off coupon and went & bought them! (and put them in my 4 door sedan....I'm still not sure how that happened! C, if you're reading this....we NEED an SUV!!!)
The side by the window will house a bench, also made by my stepdad, in the next couple of weeks.  Then I focused on side chairs.  I thought a parson would be best, simple, can be slipcovered, and easy to find.  Enter: Target. 

Their new Threshold line is fabulous y'all! So the chairs went on sale for $65 a piece; I had a $10 giftcard for a couponing outing the week before; and their Cartwheel app had 5% off dining chairs...oh, and I have a Red card, so I save 5% on everything everytime.  A deal I could not pass up.  These went into my car easily. They were in boxes.





 Here they are! Perfect. I can get slipcovers from anywhere to suit my decorating desires!
As I said above, they came in pieces in boxes. I had to put them together! Well, ok, I could have waited for C but he was on a long work trip.... I didn't want to wait! I had waited long enough.  I started putting them together in the garage. Everything was together, all pieces fit, screws were tightened...or so I thought. When I got them next to the table and upright, I could feel they were a little loose, a little unsteady. So I un-velcroed the bottoms and went back to work. It was so weird. All of a sudden, pieces moved ever so slightly and fell into place. Screws that would not turn anymore earlier, did! Then they were sturdy.  As I sat testing out my new chairs, I started to think.... Wow, there's a life lesson in there. Someone wanted to teach me something that day. I clearly had patience (with some things)...I had a lonely table for almost a year....but I learned to expand that patience into other areas of my life.  I learned that you may think things are how they are supposed to be, but a minor change may make all the difference.  That once something gets into it's proper location, you'll really see what needs to happen.

All that from a couple of dining chairs from Target!






No comments:

Post a Comment